How to Spot Fake Louis Vuitton Handbags!
Help! Did I buy a replica Louis Vuitton handbag?
Fake Louis Vuitton Handbags
Louis Vuitton is a one of a kind designer brand name that is certainly in a class all by itself.
But there are a lot of fake Fake Louis Vuitton bagsout there posing as the real thing. Did you know that just over 1% of the items on the market today with the LV trademark are authentic?
That means that there are many more fake Louis Vuitton handbags roaming around than wed like to think.
Did you also know that in 2004, Louis Vuitton fakes accounted for 18% of the counterfeit accessories in the European Union?
So, how do you know if you have an authentic or replica Louis Vuitton handbag?
Check out these helpful tips and never be fooled again!
1. Overall look- Quite simply, does your bag look expensive or does it look cheap?
Authentic Louis Vuitton Handbags cost a small fortune because they are made with only the finest materials and they are produced with extensive attention to detail.
If you notice a few flaws in your bag, such as loose threads, material that doesnt lay right, or a zipper that doesnt work properly then you many have purchased a replica Louis Vuitton handbag.
Authentic Louis Vuitton handbags should be flawless in construction and quality.
2. Logo Pattern- Real Louis Vuitton handbags are made from one big piece of material which wraps around the bag.
This means that the LV logo will be upside down on one side of the bag and right side up on the other to follow this pattern.
The LV pattern should match up correctly even at the seam breaks.
If the pattern does not match up at the seams, is crooked or does not have one side of the bag in upside down LV logos, then it is probably a replica Louis Vuitton handbag.
3. Tag- Fake Louis Vuitton handbags usually have a cut-out portion of logo material on a tag connected to the bag, as well as a circular plastic tag stamped with the LV logo hanging by a white string.
Authentic Louis Vuitton bags do not have these tags.
Remember, real Louis Vuitton handbags are only made with the finest materials and plastic tags are not a fine material!
4. Dust Bag- Real Louis Vuitton bags come with a high quality material dust bag.
It should only have the LV logo or Louis Vuitton printed on the front in dark brown letters.
A fake Louis Vuitton handbags will come with a dust bag that looks cheap, maybe even wrinkled, not sized correctly to fit the bag, dangling threads, and the in addition to the logo will have Made in Paris printed on the front.
5. Materials-Real Louis Vuitton bags are made of natural cowhide leather that turns a richer shade over time and with use.
Fake Louis Vuitton handbags are made from a leather looking plastic.
The fake Louis Vuitton handbags have an overall shinier look than the real ones.
6. Style- If your bag has a weird style that you have never seen before and does not fit with the standard look of the rest of the Louis Vuitton line then it is probably a replica Louis Vuitton handbag.
Many counterfeiters will create their own handbag patterns and styles and use a unique color scheme and then just add the LV logo throughout to create a replica Louis Vuitton handbag.
Check with an authorized dealer or find photos of authentic bags on the web to see if the style matches up with the rest of the Louis Vuitton line.
7. Stitching- The stitching on the real Louis Vuitton bag is golden. Fake Louis Vuitton handbags have brown stitching.
The real LV will have no missing stitches, no gaps in the stitching and no loose threads.
Remember, Louis Vuitton bags are so expensive because every detail is flawless. It should be made to perfection.
8. Interior- Real Louis Vuitton handbags have an expensive colored fabric lining such as canvas, cross grain leather, microfibre suede, or micro monogram textile.
A replica Louis Vuitton handbag usually has a cheap tan or brown suede lining, a plastic lining, or no lining at all.
An authentic LVbag should have Louis Vuitton Paris- made in france or Louis Vuitton- made in the USA printed somewhere on the interior of the bag.
9. LV logo- On the authentic Louis Vuitton bag the V should be on top of the L when they are crossed.
The reverse is true on the fake Louis Vuitton handbags.
10. Serial Number- Look to see if the code is labeled.
Authentic Louis Vuitton handbags have date codes or serial numbers.
Louis Vuitton has never used anything called a model number. This is true even for vintage pieces. If you see the label "model number," the bag is a fake.
Check to see if the bag is from the "French Company for Louis Vuitton." The French Luggage Company (located in the US) did not use date codes or serial numbers, so these pieces have neither.
Most LV bags have a 3 or 4 digit code. The first 2 digits indicate the year and the last 1 or 2 represent the production date.
The first 2 digits are always higher than 80 because Louis Vuitton did not use date codes before 1980. The last 1 or 2 digits are always between 1 and 31 representing the month.
Follow the code guideline that refers to the year the bag was produced. In 1990, the coding system changed to 2 letters followed by 4 numbers.
The letters indicate the factory of origin. The 4 numbers are the manufacturing date, but now the date is staggered.
The first and third numbers are the year, while the second and fourth numbers are the date.
When examining the date, put the numbers into the right order and verify that they represent a plausible date.
Code format changed again in January of 2007. Two letters still represent the factory of origin. The 4 numbers that follow the letters are the week and year the bag was made.
11. Hardware- The hardware should not be painted gold metal, but it should be the more sturdy brass & gold hardware that will not tarnish or chip.
12. Bags Made in the USA- I am always grateful to those of you who inform me of some more information to add to my site.
Thanks so much to Angie who has contributed this very helpful information for those of you who have purchased an LV bag in the USA.
It should read:
Made In USA'
Thanks again for this helpful info!
The most important question is where did you buy it?
Authentic Louis Vuitton handbags can ONLY be sold at authorized boutiques and stores. You can call 1-866 VUITTON to find these locations.
Rest assured that every designer bag sold on my site is 100% authentic....absolutely no fakes allowed!
Beware of some sites claiming to sell authentic Louis Vuitton bags.
If you buy on Ebay, make sure to check the sellers feedback history first to get an idea of whether they are reputable or not.
Many Ebay sellers are honestly selling authentic Louis Vuitton bags on the internet.
However, some of the sellers on Ebay buy these bags as fakes, and then claim they are authentic on Ebay and try to sell them to you.
It's always a good idea to ask for a copy of their receipt as proof of where they purchased it.
If someone offers you a 'too good to be true' deal, then you could assume they are trying to sell you fake Louis Vuitton handbags.
Read these great tips on How to Spot a Fake Coach Handbag
Take a look at these great deals onMonogram Multicolor Louis Vuitton Bags!